Even With The Best Mitigation System Installed, Damaging DDoS Attacks Still Manage To Bypass A Company’s DDoS Mitigation Defences and Cause Harm
DDoS Mitigation and Causes of Downtime
There are thousands of potential DDoS vulnerabilities that can be exploited in any IT infrastructure. Collectively these vulnerabilities are referred to as “DDoS mitigation gaps”.
Enterprises have the challenging task of protecting their online presence from sudden,
malicious, and sophisticated DDoS attacks. However, production environments are
continuously changing and the DDoS mitigation gap expands based on the following factors:
- Adding/removing services
- Updating DDoS mitigation policies
- New and improved DDoS attack vectors
It only takes one right DDoS attack vector to get through the mitigation gap and bring down your system
DDoS Mitigation postures
To prevent DDoS attacks, enterprises have likely invested in one
of the following postures offered as part of DDoS mitigation
- Scrubbing Center (BGP)
- Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Vendor Appliances (CPE Equipment)
- Intrusion Detection System/Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)
- Web Application Firewall (WAF)
Each DDoS mitigation solution has its advantages and disadvantages, and the decision regarding which posture is preferable depends mainly on the existing infrastructure and the enterprise’s business needs. Choosing the right combination of DDoS mitigation services requires an understanding of how the DDoS mitigation solution provider's solution works and how it matches your environment's needs, followed by an objective look at the corporate requirements like risk, available resources, budget, personnel, and existing network infrastructure is needed.
Effective DDoS Mitigation - an Expensive Myth
DDoS mitigation technology works only if it is perfectly configured to the underlying network it is protecting. Often, the problem is that it is not designed to adapt to the ongoing network changes.
Changes in the networks often impact the DDoS mitigation configurations adversely and open DDoS vulnerabilities through which DDoS attacks can penetrate.
As DDoS mitigation service providers do not constantly re-configure and fine-tune their DDoS mitigation policies continuously their ongoing visibility is limited, forcing them to troubleshoot issues
at the very worst possible time, that is, when systems are brought down by a successful DDoS attack. The bottom-line cost of an average DDoS attack to an enterprise can run as high as $2.3 million. This number changes based on the type of business and/or volume of transactions occurring on a website per day.
As a result of this, even with the most sophisticated DDoS mitigation deployed, most companies are left with a staggering 48% DDoS vulnerability level.
Introducing MazeBolt’s RADAR™
RADAR™ closes the DDoS vulnerabilities by continuously and non-disruptively simulating DDoS attacks. Adapting your DDoS mitigation capabilities accordingly and lowering your ongoing DDoS vulnerabilities to under 2%.
5-Step RADAR™ Risk-Based DDoS Approach
- Detects – RADAR™ is designed to identify basic vulnerabilities in a company’s DDoS mitigation posture and runs on live production without causing downtime or interruption to the operations.
- Generates Reports – Reports representing the number of connections per second, are sent by MazeBolt's simulation cloud, with the corresponding amount of connections per second that penetrated the current DDoS defenses.
- Alerts for Critical DDoS Vulnerabilities – Highlight the most important DDoS vulnerabilities in the DDoS mitigation service provider’s apparatus and architecture, allowing security personnel to make the least amount of changes, with the most significant impact in strengthening the IT infrastructure against DDoS attacks, and closing the DDoS vulnerabilities.
- Consults – MazeBolt’s Professional Services consultants guide the DDoS mitigation service provider to remediate identified vulnerabilities.
- Revalidates – We revalidate the remediations to ensure that all vulnerabilities are closed and remain closed on an ongoing basis, bringing down the chances of a damaging DDoS attack to under 2%.
Benefits of RADAR™
Real-time & complete visibility of DDoS vulnerabilities
End-to-end visibility into the misconfiguration caused due to network changes.
End-to-End DDoS vulnerability managed service
Prioritized reporting of vulnerabilities for 3rd party vendors to focus on closing DDoS Gaps.
On-Demand retest of vulnerability reconfiguration
Help DDoS mitigation vendors with feedback on the correct configuration.
DDoS RADAR™ works with any
DDoS mitigation Service and System to provide
end-to-end full DDoS protection
DDoS Mitigation When Deployed
One-time configuration of DDoS Mitigation as per the given network at the time of mitigation deployment.
DDoS mitigation, once configured, is not revisited every time the network is changed.
1. At the time when mitigation is configured with the existing underlying network, DDoS Mitigation works well initially.
2. The two components of DDoS Mitigation have one-way communication.
DDoS Mitigation When Deployed
No feedback loop mechanism to configure existing DDoS mitigation to changing network environments.
Due to the incessant need to meet global market demands, network environments change continuously. However, DDoS Mitigation once configured isn’t designed to automatically adapt to network changes resulting in misconfigured DDoS mitigation that is 48% vulnerable to DDoS Attacks. Existing DDoS mitigation is 48% vulnerable because it has limited visibility into the vulnerabilities generated due to changed network environments.
DDoS Mitigation Powered by RADAR™’s Proactive Feedback Module
RADAR™ powered Next Gen mitigation maintains DDoS Risk at under 2%
The RADAR™’s Proactive Feedback Module transforms all existing DDoS mitigation solutions by completing the feedback loop.
1. Provides continuous 24/7 visibility on DDoS vulnerabilities.
2. Powers on demand assessment of DDoS mitigation configuration changes
3. Real-time identification of misconfigurations due to changed network